Christmas is a Time for….
Even though Christmas is most likely not really the day that Jesus was born, we can use the holiday as a time for appropriating the lessons learned by His ministry here on Earth. Here are ten things you can do to make the holiday somewhat memorable.
1. Don’t focus on yourself; focus on others. If you do that, you may find that you have no post Christmas blues. If you have no family or even if you do, invite someone who has none to your celebration.
2. Remember that Jesus was homeless. Thank God that you have whatever He has blessed you with and thank Jesus for His sacrificial life.
3. Remember that the birthday we’re celebrating belongs to Jesus. Give HIM the first gift. At our house no one opens a gift until we have first given God something that He doesn’t already have.
4. Spend a few hours thinking about number 3. What will you give God that He doesn’t already have? He owns everything. It is a simple, but profound answer.
5. Practice giving the type of gift you have given God to someone close to you; be creative.
6. Play family games instead of turning on the T.V.
7. Have a special meal, not necessarily fancy, but one that is somewhat symbolic.
8. Kiss someone special.
9. Hug someone you haven’t hugged in a while.
10. Spend some time thinking about all the things that are happy in your life…and smile.